Nemura “Mu” Pencyla joined Ekl, Williams & Provenzale, LLC in 2017, after serving the public for over 23 years as a Prosecutor. Nemura had been appointed Kendall County First Assistant in 2010, and prosecuted the most serious and complex cases in that office, including financial and public integrity crimes, homicides, and physical and sexual child abuse. He also coordinated and conducted extensive Grand Jury investigations into sophisticated financial and public integrity offenses.
Nemura had previously served as an assistant state’s attorney in two other counties, and had been appointed by both Federal and State courts to serve as an Independent Special Prosecutor. Nemura’s assignments included the Special Prosecutions/Financial Crimes Division, Domestic Violence Units, and the Priority Prosecution Unit, which prosecuted violent and high-profile crimes. Nemura also headed the Narcotics Unit, and was assigned to the Child Advocacy Center.
Nemura has had many successes and has been recognized by law enforcement agencies, public service organizations, and his peers and supervisors as a dedicated prosecutor.
Nemura now focusses on complex civil litigation in both Federal and State courts. He has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in Section 1983 litigation, claimants in FINRA arbitration as well as businesses in contract and commercial disputes. He was appointed in 2018 to serve on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Federal Civil Trial Committee.
Outside of the office, Nemura looks forward to spending time with his wife, Michelle, and trying to keep up with their two school-age children.
Areas of Practice
- Civil litigation
- Commercia/Business Litigation
- Criminal Law
- Civil Rights/Constituttional Law
- Administrative Law
- Criminal Defense
- Litigation & Appeals
- Civil Rights
- Business & Commercial
- Illinois, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate - 1994
- Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1991
- Honors: Honors, Senior Thesis
- Benet Academy, Lisle, Illinois
- County of Grundy v. Francis Halpin, Jr.
- People v. Francisco Salazar and Zachary Reyes
- People v. Hammad Ali and Roger Walberg
Honors and Awards
- Highly recommended, DuPage Bar Association Judicial Candidate
- Prosecutor of the Year, Kane County
- Star of Distinction, Chicago Crime Commission
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Kendall County Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Kendall County State’s Attorney Office, First Assistant State’s Attorney, 2010 to 2017
- Kane, Grundy, McHenry Counties, Independent Special Prosecutor
- Kane County State’s Attorney Office, Priority Prosecutor, Narcotics Unit Supervisor, Child Advocacy Center, 2000 to 2010
- DuPage County State’s Attorney Office, 1994 to 2000
- Kendall County State’s Attorney Office, Domestic Violence Unit, Special Prosecution/Public Integrity Unit, 2010 to 2017